Unattended cooking could be responsible for a fire that “burnt out” a second-storey housing unit in Porirua.
Fire and Emergency Services NZ were called to what started as a kitchen fire in a two-storey block of four, understood to belong to Housing NZ, along Mungavin Ave in Cannons Creek about 8am on Friday.
Senior station officer Trevor Sheehan, of Porirua, said the “straight-forward” job meant his team had things under control within an hour.
Working smoke alarms alerted the occupants to get outside, meaning no-one was injured.
Although the cause of the fire was still undetermined, initial thoughts were that it started in the kitchen, possibly because of unattended cooking.
Part of the street was blocked off while four fire trucks and a command unit brought the blaze under control, which took about 45 minutes plus another 2.5 hours to dampen.
The neighbouring units suffered smoke and heat damage.
STUFF – JARED NICOLL