Fire Safety Advice – Fireworks Safety

Fireworks can be a lot of fun, but they’re also dangerous and pose a high fire risk. When lighting fireworks, it’s your responsibility to make sure you’re using them safely.

Refer to your local bylaws for the rules around using fireworks in your area. In many places, you’re only allowed to light fireworks on private property. People who breach this law could be fined as much as $20,000.


Preventing fires when lighting fireworks

Used unsafely, fireworks can cause devestating bushfires. Follow these tips to reduce the risk of starting a fire when using fireworks:

  • Don’t light fireworks in windy or dry conditions.
  • Carefully read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions before using any fireworks.
  • Light your fireworks in a wide-open area, away from anything that could catch fire, like dry grass, leaves or crops, or flammable gases or liquids.
  • Keep a bucket of water, hose or fire extinguisher handy.


Lighting fireworks safely

  • Only adults should light fireworks.
  • Keep all unlit fireworks in their box or bag until you’re ready to light them.
  • Point fireworks at the stars, not at people or anyone’s home.
  • Leave dud or damaged fireworks alone.


Be considerate with fireworks

  • Do not use fireworks after 10.30pm, and try to let your neighbours know in advance.
  • If you’re in a rural area, make sure you do not set off fireworks around farm animals.
  • If you do get burned, hold your burn under cold running water for 20 minutes.
  • Keep your pets inside.


information courtesy of Fire and Emergency New Zealand

Comments are closed.