History 1950-1971 Page 5
No. 2 Appliance commissioned in September 1966. From left to right:C.F.O. G.W. Bicknell, Stat./Off. E.A. Pragnell, Frm. B.D. Fisher, Frm. R.F. Murch

No. 2 Appliance commissioned in September 1966. From left to right:C.F.O. G.W. Bicknell, Stat./Off. E.A. Pragnell, Frm. B.D. Fisher, Frm. R.F. Murch

These Porirua firemen are proud of this acquisition to their fleet. They took delivery of the machine in September, 1966 after it had been passed for service in the Porirua Fire Board's district by the New Zealand Fire Services Council. The Commer Chassis was imported and the body built by R Chapman, a nelson bodybuilder. The cabin has accommodation for a driver, officer, and four firemen. The machine is equipped with high and low pressure pumps and is capable of carrying some 1500 feet of hose, as well as other fire fighting equipment. The vehicle which cost approximately £6,000, will replace one which is to be "pensioned off". The brigade has a fleet of four vehicles of this type and a Bedford of a slightly different design.

No. 3 appliance outside old Porirua Fire Station with members of the Porirua Unit.

previous  5  next

Comments are closed.